Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Excursion: Wednesday & Thursday

Wednesday morning I was free to roam Genova while Jay and friends went to visit another mapping agency. Because of the very narrow roads and the fact that this agency was in the foothills of the mountains (remember I said Genova is squashed between the water and the mountains?), the bus couldn't make it up the road. That meant that Jay and his classmates had to walk the 2 kilometers uphill to get there. They were exhausted when they finished around lunchtime! 

We hopped back on the bus and drove to Parma. I actually got to go on this visit to a photogrammetry company, which was pretty cool because this has been Jay's obsession for many years, and I felt like I really learned a lot there. 


Do I pass for a mapmaker? 

After our tour of this company it was back on the bus to drive to Florence. We got there in the early evening and got checked into our "hotel." You know in romantic comedies a couple goes on a getaway to Europe and ends up in some less-than-ideal hotel? Well, it was a lot kind of like that. The best thing about the accommodations was the view from our balcony...Is it still called a balcony if there isn't  a door to get out there but instead you have to crawl out the window?


Florence is AMAZING. We found the same atmosphere as in Genova, it's just much larger and much more tourist-y. Florence is home to a couple very famous museums. Ever hear of the David statue? Yeah, it's here. No, I didn't see it. Sad to say I didn't' pre-buy tickets to the museum it's in, and I refused to spend my day in Florence standing in a line...which is also why I wasn't able to go inside the amazing cathedral either. 



We had the most delicious meals in Florence. We ate at little sidewalk cafes and tried different pastas and dishes each meal. It was to.die.for.








Those were my attempts to take a picture of  Il Duomo...this thing can hold 20 thousand (not a typo) people. The problem is it's so big and it's difficult to get far enough away from it to get it all. You should totally click on the link above and go check it out.






This photo cracks me up, because this guy just walked into the picture. I was going through them and started laughing. I need to document that we have no idea who this guy is, or I'm afraid someday we'll be showing our grandchildren these pictures and racking our brains trying to remember who this dude is!





I loved Italy. I loved the atmosphere, the people, the food, the weather. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Tot ziens!



No comments:

Post a Comment