Tuesday, July 26, 2011

An Email From an Old Friend

A few weeks ago I got an email from one of my oldest friends (That's length of friendship, not age!). Sarah and I were in the same first grade class, and we have remained friends since then. We even shared a "Best Friends" necklace or two in elementary school. {IF I was in Canyon I would scan one of the multiple pictures of us in my mom's picture albums, but just imagine two bow-headed late 80s/early 90s girls.} As we entered junior high and then high school, Sarah and I had very different interests. She was a very talented athlete, and I was...well, not. We ended up having different groups of friends, but I always knew she was someone who would be there if I needed her.


We have stayed in contact over the years--sometimes going months at a time without talking to each other, sometimes years. When I got Sarah's email a couple weeks ago it had been a couple years since we had talked (other than keeping up with each other on Facebook). 


One thing that Sarah and I always had in common was our love of quotes. She has a quote book we shared and wrote in during those awkward preteen years. When I got married, she gave me a very pretty notebook filled with some of her favorite quotes. So of course it is only fitting that at the end of the email, Sarah included a couple quotes.


Here's the amazing thing about the quotes she sent.They spoke to me so perfectly at this point in my life! Even after going all that time without really talking to each other, she picked just the quotes I needed to hear. This was my favorite one. 


Today you are stronger and deeper on the inside because of the experiences life has given you, and softer around the edges because of the things you have let go of along the way.


This time in our lives has been fun, exciting, scary, sad, freeing, and many other emotions wrapped into one. This quote reminded me that everything that happens along this path of life is working to shape me into who I am and who I will be. 


We still aren't sure what's next for us, but we're excited to see what's in store and we're completely grateful for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.


Tot ziens!










No comments:

Post a Comment