Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Excursion: Sunday & Monday

Last Sunday Jay and I boarded a tour bus for a week long excursion with his classmates. Our destination? Switzerland and Italy...that's a far cry from the field trips I took as a student or took my students on! It has been a very, very long time since I've been on a bus that long...like I'm thinking since Student Life camp in high school?! 






Sunday we drove through Germany to Bern, Switzerland. This drive took us through the Swiss Alps. It was so beautiful. Picturesque. Perfect. We spent Sunday evening and all day Monday in Bern. Bern is the capital of Switzerland and also home to Albert Einstein for part of his life. 
















Monday during the day Jay and his classmates took two tours of different mapping agencies, and I was able just to roam around town freely. Jay's professor actually apologized to Jay that I wouldn't be able to take the tours with them, but Jay assured him I would be perfectly ok with it! We had the late afternoons and evening together to explore and eat. 


















It was very expensive in Switzerland, but that didn't stop us from trying the local cuisine...fondue with, what else?, Swiss cheese. Now, as most of you know I have a hyper-sensitive nose. It is generally an annoyance, but when you're in a restaurant with melted stinky cheese everywhere, it's a curse. The cheese (melted not only for our fondue but also on most of the dishes in the restaurant) didn't actually taste too bad, but I couldn't get over the smell. Ick. Jay loved it though, and was glad for once that his sense of smell doesn't work very well!













{Thanks, Sami for the pictures of Jay and me together. When I was going through all the pictures, I realized the only pictures of us together were ones you took! Thanks to you we have proof we were on the trip together!}


It was a great few days in Switzerland, but early on Tuesday morning we got back on the bus for a drive to Genova (Genoa in English), Italy.


Tot ziens!









No comments:

Post a Comment