Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Just 2 Months

First of all, let me assure you that I have not spent the time since my last post practicing my Dutch. I am very discouraged by how difficult it is, and I really don't have tons of time right now! I think I mentioned in my last post that I end up shouting at the computer to get it to approve my pronunciation...I know it sounds crazy, but my friend Amber will attest that it is so natural to do! I got an audio cd with my computer course, and we listened to it one day when we carpooled. She was shouting right along with me. It's kind of like the cliche of speaking louder and slower when someone doesn't understand a languge. Ha!


Several of my kids at school have been curious about my adventures, so I took the cds into school for them. It was THE most hilarious thing ever. My kids were surrounding the cd player, semi-shouting "het meisje" and "een man". They were certain their pronunciations were perfect and couldn't understand why I haven't mastered the language yet. :)  I'm not giving up, but I am putting it on my list of things to work on when I'm in The Netherlands this summer.


So, you might ask, what have I been doing then? Well, I'm not really sure, but time is just flying by! In just two months I will be in The Netherlands for the duration of Jay's time there schooling. I put in for a year's leave of absence from work. This allows me to come back to my job if we end up back here. It is a nice option to have, and I'm thankful my principal looked into it for me. We still have no clue where we'll end up after Jay finishes school, but surprisingly I haven't really been stressing (too much) yet. Right now the thought of having to pack everything up and get it moved out of the house is more stressful for me.


As of now, our plan is for me to pack up and put everything into storage here. I will then drive Junie to my grandma's house in Iowa. (She's cat-sitting for me this summer.) Then I leave for The Netherlands at the beginnig of June from Iowa. I really can't believe it. I haven't started packing yet. I'm going to start over Easter weekend. I'm afraid if I start now I won't stop and will end up living out of boxes for the next few months! Here's what is filling up my basement right now...







I am ready and am having to show restraint not to just jump in and get it taken care of! Thank goodness I work at a school, though. I haven't had to go scrounging for any boxes yet!


Tot ziens!

No comments:

Post a Comment